Manulife Financial, Toronto, Canada
October 200 to February 2003
- Produced and maintained conceptual data models and physical database structure models for US Group Pension Broker Dealer, Account Balance Offload, Viewfunds, and EZK eCommerce web-sites using ERWin. Further denormalized multi-level dimensional hierarchies in the Broker Dealer model to achieve more efficient star schemas.
- Lead the Data Track in the design and construction of relational databases to meet scalability, availability and fail-over capability required by solution architects.
- Developed small and large POCs for different ETL building blocks. Designed and coded the core of the ETL, namely “Live Bulk Update” using shell scripts and Java applications.
- Translated solution architecture into detailed technical design. Produced specifications for ETL, data access layer, backup and recovery strategy, and updated data dictionary.
- Developed database standards, guidelines and procedures. Database standards included naming convention for tables, table spaces, indexes; guidelines included best coding practices for Java stored procedures; and procedures included the defined processes for implementing database changes in production.
- Coordinated with the infrastructure group to obtain appropriate hardware and software for development, testing and deployment environments and further configured these environments for optimum performance.
- Mentored DBAs, transferred design knowledge through technical walkthrough sessions and peer reviews.
- Ensured that test plans were prepared and executed on time and that they produced the expected results. Worked closely with Quality Control team to ensure their test data requirements were met.
- Designed and built repeatable processes for database tuning. Setup performance profiles and benchmarks to measure enhancement progress. Used live OS monitoring tools such as vmstat and nmon plus live DB2 monitoring and diagnostics tools such as db2top and db2diag to monitor the system during performance benchmarks.
- Setup stress and load test-runs to measure and tune the system’s performance under high concurrency and volume.
- Handled DB2 LUW product bugs, reported them to IBM and followed up for resolutions and participated in applying the necessary maintenances (hot fixes).
- Provided on-call production support and lead the production support team in a number of database-crash recovery situations.
- Worked with project managers and business analysts to capture requirements, define alternatives and costs, and setup project plans. Participated in hiring of permanent and contract staff.
- Lead a team of five DBAs, distributed work, managed the workload and ensured that the tasks were completed as specified.
- Ensured that all work was performed in accordance to audit requirements. Conducted presentation sessions with the Audit department to illustrate that data was handled in a secure and accurate manner.
- Designed, coded and tuned all Data Access Layers for Broker Dealer website using Java stored procedures.
- Performed a POC on ONLINE-REORG and coded the necessary scripts to perform ONLINE-REROG on select tables.